Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hard work but worth it



Living on a farm we've spent many hours doing improvements. We live on the flood plain for the area, which unfortunately means all our neighbours drain onto us. There is a municipal riding ring next door but it's hog fuel and we've always wanted our own sand ring so several years ago we spend a lot of time and money to convert one of our un used paddocks into a riding ring.

Above is the start, a layer of crushed rock, then some smaller gravel, then landscaping cloth, then sand. It tools days of work but it was worth it.


The finished ring is something the horses love to be turned loose in, it's our old geldings favourite place to roll! The boys really enjoy any play time in there they get.


9 comments:

Alli said...

Your gelding is beautiful! Living o a flood plain must present all sorts of challenges for you, but your riding ring looks great!

Denise Dilley said...

Your horse is beautiful! When I was a little girl, my mom babysat for a single dad with two little boys who lived on a farm with horses. Some of my favorite memories were of cisitng the horses and riding them. It was only for one summer, but it was so much fun!

Unknown said...

Oh I am so jealous! Your gelding is gorgeous. We had horses growing up, but no more. I love them.

dayebydaye said...

That's fantastic!
Your title- "Hard Work, but Worth It" - relates to blogging too! Sometimes we don't get to see the immediate results of blogging and we are tempted to quit (at least I have gone through times like this). I have found that when I expect results, I don't get any. But when I work hard, because I know it is what I need to be doing, regardless of results, the results seem to come.
So keep working hard. It IS worth it!

Zion said...

Hi! Visiting from Facebook. I hope you continue to write. Your photos are beautiful.

Chandra Hadfield said...

Farm life sounds like hard, but fun work. I'm sure there are lots of stories to tell! I'm looking forward to more of what you have to tell us.

Tara Ulrich said...

Great stuff. My family farms in North Dakota. I also know how challenging living on the flood plains can be. I spent some time in the Red River Valley of ND!

Sara Borgstede said...

Interesting! I have little to no experience with farming and I love reading about other people's totally different life experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Hill said...

My daughter would love to have a riding ring and horse. I think the horse looks gorgeous. Congrats on the ring even if you are on a flood plain, maybe you can get engineers to help with drainage issue.