Saturday, March 6, 2010

Indy Update


It was a gorgeous day here today. I torched most of the morning and afternoon, I've got a kiln full of beads and was pretty happy about it. I ran out of dipped mandrels at about 4:00 and figured I still had time for a ride. What a great ride it was! Indy is starting to lighten up a bit and get a bit more supple. His breathing is still not was it used to be, I may put him on some herbs to help his lungs but he's really starting to feel a bit more normal. I really do want to thank everyone who sent him healing thoughts, I sometimes think that's why he pulled through. There were many days we really thought he wasn't going to.


To put it into perspective for those who didn't follow his saga, here's a picture of him at the height of his illness last year. He was down for almost 2 weeks straight, in the middle of a heat wave. We had two fans running on him during the day, his shoes were pulled because they were giving him bed sores from lying down so much. You can see the sores in this photo. This was just after his surgery to drain the fluid off his lungs.

And this is today, his weight is holding steady. He's always gained weight easily and we've got him on a new grain that seems to be helping him stay at a normal weight. Being overweight will stress his lungs so it's important he stays at a normal weight. Considering he tore off across the yard like a crazy man about 10 seconds after I took this picture I think he's feeling a lot better.




4 comments:

Canyon Echoes said...

Fantastic!!!

Lisa Riehl said...

So glad to see that Indy's doing better! What a roller coaster ride for you, and I hope you are doing better too. xo

Leilani said...

Wow - what a difference! I have no doubt all the healing energy sent his way really really helped. Animals are so much more "in tune" than we are!

I am so happy he got better! Seemed impossible there for awhile huh? Thank for sharing!

N Valentine Studio said...

Lisa and Leilani you nailed it. Lisa it was months of ups and downs for us, way more stress than I care to have again, ever. Leilani there was a day about 1/2 way into it that I cracked, I couldn't stop bawling, it felt like I was just waiting for him t die.

He's a special guy. I bought him planning on him going to a student, we never intended to keep him. And now he's family, it's always interesting how things work out.